I just love that I can use a couple of colors unique to the piece in varying values. In this case, I chose to go darkest to lightest in pink plus add a green and variegated #1 metallic.
In studying for this technique I read through several sources for instruction. They all state that I must measure the original lines very accurately. So, initially I thought the best way to do so was to put in some guidelines on the warp/weft at exactly 8 mm. Because the stitched grid would actually be perpendicular it seemed like a great idea until I began to stitch - I quickly realized that the guidelines was making this technique too cumbersome so out they came.
Next I put in the darkest of pinks that I intended to use. Measuring accurately with my handy ruler.
Second set of lines were going to be in a complimentary green, one shade lighter. Notice there is no ruler in this picture...
All instructions state simply that I will build each set of lines based on the set before. Simple enough and off I went. When I hit the fourth set of grid lines the lines became a little bit, shall we say, off....? Ah well! This is a challenge piece. I did take out some of those that were the most distracting but I have to confess that I chose at this moment not be a complete perfectionist on this piece and would exercise my artistic choice here by not completely correcting. Below are shots of the final cloud. In the future I will make sure to use my ruler to make sure all lines are going in at the proper direction and measurement.
A few more notes:
a) You'll notice that I did not fill the entire pattern in with silk but left open windows open. I have to thank my good friend, J-son, whom suggested this and used this technique in stitching her butterflies.
b) The final metallic layer is a wonderful variegated JEC #1 metallic. This was great fun and I hope the colors come through.